Monday, May 10, 2010

One Step at a Time

This dreaming business is tiring! Yes, I am tired! NOT of dreaming, but all the work it takes to make those dreams come true!

This does not mean that I don't enjoy the escape from reality and go to my dreams. I will never stop dreaming as it brings me great hope of a wonderful tomorrow. Today's are pretty darn good, but dreaming makes all the 'steps at a time' come together.

Last week I was feeling a little overwhelmed at work as there is so much to do and so many people who want 15 minutes of my time. I was wondering how in the world am I going to get everything done! It hit me..."see yourself in the moments that are going to happen (the dream) and figure out what it will take to get there (the one step at a time approach)"! It worked!

Last week was probably the most productive I have been in a long time because rather than concentrating on the end, I concentrated on the steps to the end. Like the old English Proverb says "A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step".

This is so true - probably why it is called a proverb, you can't go wrong with proverbs!

The journey starts with one step not the end. If you are just learning to walk do you think you can go rounding around as walking is easy right? Probably not, you are hoping to make it 10 feet to the awaiting arms of someone. One step is one step..not the journey! Put thousands of steps in place and you have a journey. It all starts with a step.

I think part of my problem last week was I was trying to end the many journeys that I have happening at the same time. I sat down with a colleague and said "we have to stop"! "We have to figure out what the end looks like and start making steps towards that end". We were so busy worrying about what it would look like in the end we lost focus of putting one foot in front of the other.

When you are faced with a challenge, a problem, or a dream, remember to take it one step at a time. Concentrate on that step and only that step. Not the step you want to take in 2 weeks or 2 months or 2 years, but that one step. After a while the 2 weeks, months, and years go by and all the steps you have accomplish bring you to your dream, your journey.

Nothing is ever accomplished without working hard on that first, second, third and every step after. It is not the dream but the process that gets you through as a stronger, healthier, more focused, and more purposeful.

One step at a time folks, one step at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment