Thursday, May 13, 2010

Changing IU's into IOU's

This morning I had a real eye opener on how my IU's (irrational and unnecessary) thoughts are getting in the way of my wants and goals. Here is an example.
One of my goals/wants is to write a book from my dissertation. I have something good to say and write, but for the last two years I have talked myself into so many irrational and unnecessary thoughts that it still is out there as a want/goal.

My IU's are: I am not smart enough, no one will ever read it and it will fail, it won't be on the best sellers list, I don't have the time, it really isn't that important, and I can't write.

Pretty negative reasons to not do something that is a goal/want of mine! What if I changed IU's into IOU's (I owe you (myself) a little more honesty)? What really is standing in my way of completing this? The IOU is the positive devil's advocate in your head...yes he or she can be positive. So the story would go:

I am not smart enough - really? You have a PhD and did 4 years of work to get to a point of research, you have a 4.0 GPA and you are seen by others as having amazing qualities and insight...really you're not smart enough? Okay, I can cross that one off my list.

No one will ever read it and it will fail - really? It that is so why do I have followers on this blog and why does my mentor and committee members still bug me about writing this? Really no one will ever read it?

It won't make the best sellers list - really? Is that really important? Aren't people successful writers even if they aren't best sellers? What if it helps one person would it not be successful?

I don't have the time -really? Is it that I don't have the time or that I don't schedule the time? I sit on a couch and watch TV or the Twins play nearly every night - really I don't have the time?

It isn't important to me - really? My life's passion is about helping others get out of their own way and I don't think it is important to create a view of how do to this? Really it isn't important?

I am not a good writer - really? I seem to have people tell me all the time of how good I am at telling and writing stories. I have comments on how well written this blog is. I have people asking me to look at proposals they have written to get my feedback. Really, I am not a good writer?

IU's into IOU's! I owe myself a better vision of my goal. I owe myself the time and energy to really figure out how to MAKE it happen rather than place barriers to my success. Really? Yes Really!

1 comment:

  1. I would read it! I demand to read it! It's now on my want/need list. Get going!!!

    ReplyDelete