Wednesday, May 12, 2010

If you build it, they will come!

IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME- one of my favorite sayings from the Movie Field of Dreams. You probably remember it too, but have you stopped to think about the meaning for each of us?

It isn't about building a baseball field in the middle of Iowa, it's about getting a second chance. It's about making a dream come true. It's about finding your purpose and doing whatever it takes to make it happen.

From the movie you remember that "Ray", the main character, traveled to New York and then to Chisholm MN to find the people that would make his dream come true. The interesting thing is that he wasn't even sure what his final dream looked like, but he went with the passion in his heart. He knew he had to do it. The leap of faith he and his family went through to get to the final dream was painful. The possibility of losing the farm and looking like a crazy man were always there. Painful to say the least.

When I think about life and the purpose behind it there is a lot of pain that we all must go through to get to the final dream. Easy - NO, pleasant - not always, right in front of our eyes - rarely. The purpose isn't that our dreams are given to us, we have to work hard and suffer through to get to that final place.

If you build it, they will come! Don't wait to start and don't worry about people that tell you "it can't be done" or "you're crazy". If you have a vision follow it.

Now that doesn't mean all of us get to build a baseball statium in our backyard, so think about the dream and find the meaning.

I thought about this a lot this weekend with my posts on sharing my dream of living by the lake. That is my baseball stadium. When I look at the meaning behind it, the purpose of why I have this dream becomes very clear.

I want to live in Minnesota and be close to my folks as they get a little older.
I want to have a place that friends enjoy visiting and can find solitude in their days.
I want to live in a place that brings joy and peace to my soul.
I want to share my thoughts and purpose with others.

A dream is only as good as the purpose behind it and I believe will only come true if you know and are passionate about that purpose.

What is your dream? What is your purpose? If you build it, they will come!

2 comments:

  1. I know my dream is to NOT have a baseball field in my backyard:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So yours is an outdoor shower with blue glass on the floor...baseball field vs outdoor shower? Same thing to me!

    ReplyDelete