Thursday, May 27, 2010

Be remembered by what you DON'T Do!

There probably isn't a time in each of our lives that we don't raise the question to ourselves "How do I want to be remembered"? Pretty basic question and as we get older the answer probably changes.

There are a lot of things I have done in my life, many people I have met or helped or who have helped me along the way, and a lot of big achievements or goals I have reached. The problem is that when people remember me, they probably won't say "do you remember when Janice got her PhD" or "do you remember when Janice blew out the snow in the driveway". Maybe they will but what I have done does not always determine who I am.

A friend sent me an email this morning about how your reactions will determine who you are. It's true and I believe it. The email was a quick slide show from Steven Covey, world known author and motivational speaker. In the slide show Mr. Covey states that only 10% of life is out of our control, and 90% is ours to control. It's true!

Our reactions to the 10% is our 90% control! I believe that 90% is what we will be remembered by. How we react to a statement, an event, a problem, a compliment, a challenge, or an opportunity. Our reaction creates us.

I like to think that I will be remembered by the collection of things I don't do. I don't get upset when a child makes a mistake as I know that mistakes are part of growing. I don't hit the dog when she throws up on the cleaned floor as I know this means I need to take better care of what she is eating. I don't yell or scream when someone cuts me off in traffic, rather remind myself that I am safe and will continue to be a good driver. I don't let my emotions go beyond the situation, rather make the emotion match the situation.

I want to be remembered for having a gentle and forgiving heart that was able to calm any situation by my reactions. I can control 90% of what happens to me and that around me. The 10% - doors don't close, kids fall down, dog eats grass, coffee spills, and sprinklers don't go off - Happens! It is how you choice to reacted that you will be remembered by!

Be Remembered by what you DON'T Do today!

No comments:

Post a Comment