Monday, March 1, 2010

Take a Mental Picture

One of the things I think is very valuable taking mental picture's when faced with a task, decision, or direction. No, this isn't hard or involve a lot of figures or thinking, it's a picture, a snapshot of the outcome.

You know when you see the most beautiful bird, sunrise, tree, person and you are armed with your camera ready to capture that moment? You usually do not just wait for the right shot, usually you are taking a mental journey of what the right shot would be.

If you are taking a picture of the brightest red cardinal you have ever seen you have thoughts going through your head about what the perfect picture would be--I hope he turns his head just a little more, maybe if he could come to the closest pine tree it would be better, he is on the limb with snow so his color will really stand out. You take a mental journey through what would be the perfect picture.

Let's try another one. How about a sunset. You see it setting and if you are like me probably take 20-30 pictures while it is setting, but all the time you are thinking--I wonder if that sail boat will make it into the picture in time, I like the wave break so I need to get that in there as well, I hope I have enough battery power to get this shot, maybe if I get this palm tree in there it will look better--the journey is amazing as you plan the perfect shot. Right?

We all do this, with or without a camera. We all take mental pictures of what 'perfect' means. It is part of goal setting, it is part of life. One area that we may not do as well as picture the perfect shot though. Rather we do the "I wish" or "I hope" something does something.

I do this all the time - I hope I can catch some fish today, I hope that I don't have so many meetings today, I wish I could find time and money to go on a vacation, I wish I could lose this weight, I hope I don't screw it up; every day we all put ourselves in the wish and hope world.

What if we changed those statements? What if we put some energy into the perfect mental picture of that area? If you cannot picture yourself being successful, most likely you will not be successful - but be careful what success looks like.

Let me change my wishes and hopes around to successful mental pictures.
I see myself catching fish when I go fishing.
I will block off time each day to work and will not accept meetings during those times.
I will go to the bank and open up a vacation savings account and have $50 a month go into that account for a vacation next winter.
I see myself as a size 14 where I can go clothes shopping and I can try on clothes that fit.
I see myself this summer feeling better about myself.
I see myself being successful at my career by giving my talents every day.

If you want to be successful at something, don't spend time on wishing and hoping. Rather spend time on creating that mental picture of what success looks like for you. Once you have that picture, your mind will take over on how to make that perfect shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment