Thursday, March 4, 2010

H. R. Pufnstuf

Yep, that’s me. I can’t get the song out of my head.

Last night I dreamt that I was H.R. Pufnstuf – Remember him? Davy Jones was little Jimmy and with H.R. and Freddy the flute they would always be fighting the evil Whichiepoo? Jimmy would run to H. R. whenever something was going wrong and H. R. would know exactly what to do to save the day. Remember the theme song? “HR Pufnstuf, where you go when things get rough.”

Maybe it was because yesterday some one said I am like the Skipper on Gilligan’s Island and they felt like Gilligan always tagging a long trying not to make a mistake. It got me thinking about these old shows and why we watched the ones we loved?

For me there were a few that I just loved. H.R. Pufnstuf, Green Acres, Jonny Quest, Hogan’s Heroes, Gilligan’s Island and Where in the world is Carmen San Diego. I started to think why these shows were my favorite. It hit me that who I am today has a lot to do with why I loved these shows and figured out it was because I could relate to one of the characters.

Gilligan’s Island – I would have been the professor as I can make something out of nothing. Yep, give me some duct tape, 2 coconuts, and some bamboo and I am sure I can come up with a way to get off an island or solve a communications problem.

H. R. Pufnstuf – I am Pufnstuf. If there is a problem, people seem to come find me and say “Help, we need to fix this”.

Green Acres – I am the wife Lisa Douglas…yep…this I know is where I got my great love for pancakes and sense of humors.

Hogan’s Heroes – I am Captain Hogan; yes I know sometimes I act like Schultz, but I am Hogan. If there is a way to work out a problem and make others think I can do that.

Johnie Quest – I am that Roger “Race” Bannon, the special agent guy who always made sure others were safe.

Carmen Sandiego – Well of course I am Carmen always looking for the bad guys, arresting them, but never being caught.

So many great characters from the past and now being mostly grown up I see why I turned out the way I am. I related to these type of strong, saving, confident, fixing people for the past 40 some years!

Who do you relate too? What shows do you remember loving and why? It will amaze you to see how those shows have shaped some of who you are.

I have listed a few others from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s that maybe will jog your memory.

The Andy Griffith Show, The Lucy Show, Mr. Ed, Leave it to Beaver, Dragnet, Get Smart, Petticoat Junction, The Jackie Gleason Show, Bewitched, The Beverly Hillbillies, Bonanza, Family Affair, The Virginian, Big Valley, Daniel Boone, Rat Patrol, Alf, Fat Albert, Star Trek, Diver Dan, Tennessee Tuxedo, Sea Hunt, Popeye, Treasure Hunt, Winky Dink, Green Hornet, Little Rascals, Scoopy Doo, the list goes on.

What characters are you now?

No comments:

Post a Comment