Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I love PRESSURE...Okay...to a point!

Okay, maybe not as much as I seem to have gotten into lately, but I do love pressure. It excites me and makes me want to do so much more, but there is a problem. Pressure and my analness completely collide when I am asked to produce at a lower standard than I know I able.

When I am faced with deadlines and big projects to do; taxes, work, cleaning the house, getting my hair curly (yes a perm is a big project for me) I love the ride. I love feeling totally out of control, but knowing inside I am in complete control. I love 'pulling it off'. Seriously, for me there is nothing better than someone giving me a deadline or task that is nearly impossible.

What I have to do with this love is to understand that being in control and anal isn't always a good working model to complete things. Sometimes it is okay being 80% or even 50% right or in control. Yes, I said it and I know I will hear about this from some of you that know me and work with me. 50-80% correct and control is okay!

The caveat is that it is "once in a while", not always, but when the times come that you need to just be 50-80% correct, it is okay.

This is important for me to remember not only at work and with life tasks, but it reminds me about why I was so disappointed in myself and last summer. Fishing season opens up in a month or so. Last year I went fishing 2 or 3 times because I figured if it wasn't a 10 hour day on the water it wasn't worth it! I set the pressure and control expectation to be all or nothing and I paid the price on not doing something I absolutely love!

So this week has been about understanding that I can give 50-80% correct answers and completion of tasks and remember that it doesn't mean I am a slacker or out of control! I know this summer I can enjoy a 4 hour fishing trip rather than have to wait until I have a 10 hour window of opportunity to have fun.

I love Pressure, I love control, and I am anal. They can all live peaceful together in me as long as I pay attention to each and the impact these have on me.

Go forth and produce 50% and be okay with it! Trust me, sometime your 50% is more than anyone else could have ever given at that point in time!

No comments:

Post a Comment