Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The 2 Weeks of Winter/Spring

Well Minnesota is now entering the Two week period that I like to call "Ugly Minnesota". Yep, usually I love everything about Minnesota, but these two weeks before Spring can be ugly. Not real positive or purposeful yet, but I am getting there - trust me.

So why Ugly? Well, it is raining now and that melts the wonderful snow, both good and bad. The melting is good, but all the dirt and sand used on the roads all winter does not melt, rather makes it look like all the highways and neighborhoods have dirt bunkers securing access. This to shall pass as the dirt becomes new soil for the frozen grass, but for two weeks it is rather ugly.

You also notice how disrespectful people can be during this time of year. As the snow melts you see how much garbage people have thrown out of cars like no one would ever notice. Now this isn't just a plastic bag here or there, it is garbage - car fenders, cardboard boxes, plastic shopping bags and more cans and bottles than you can count. Ugly - MN's and travelers behaviors show up as Ugly.

The other ugly is attitudes. It seems like Minnesotans, including me, get a little ugly in attitude. Maybe it is because for 4 months we have been spending most of the time inside, or shoveling snow, or trying to enjoy -20 degrees, but attitudes come out ugly. I am no different. I know I have an ugly attitude right now.

See anything positive or purposeful in the above? I do!

First, this is 2 weeks out of 52 so 96% of my year I get to see and live in what I consider God's Country. 96% of the time! Whoa, that is pretty cool.

Second, these 2 weeks reminds me that I have a lot of personal dirt piling up and it is time to wash it away. Habits, thoughts, and feelings are the dirt - wash them away. This time of the year reminds me to get rid of the ugly in my life.

The third point is my trash - personal and professional. No one else should have to clean up my trash, so as I start throwing things out of my personal and professional life and get rid of it, I remind myself to get rid of it properly. Do not make my personal trash someone Else's issue.

This is a big one for me to remember. Last night I threw my trash at someone while playing Racquetball. I felt fat, slow, not into playing, and peeved that I was tired and I threw all the personal trash at my Racquetball partner. It wasn't fun nor was it acceptable. Throw your trash in an appropriate place that is NOT around for someone else to clean up.

So there...positive and purposeful reminders that when life throws you Ugly - make an analogy of how it relates to life and deal with it. Ugly Minnesota, Ugly Janice - both have and will continue to grow and become beautiful again.

1 comment:

  1. This week I kept a mental note of the trash I spotted on the roads while riding the bus. Funny, but the stuff is simply just odd stuff! Empty mouthwash bottle, a single shoe, a single boot, a fork, a pillow, a ruler and some makeup. Everything has a story I suppose... I want to hear the one about the fork and how it made its way to highway 394 and the Louisiana Park and Ride!

    ReplyDelete