Monday, March 8, 2010

Happy International Women's Day

Happy International Women's Day! Yes IWD is today, March 8th. I would not have known about this had it not been for the calendar I got at Christmas, but I am glad I know about it now.

This day has been celebrated by women around the world since 1908 as a day to focus on the celebration of women, women's issues, and women's achievements. You can follow this link to learn more: http://www.internationalwomensday.com/

I don't know if there is an International Men's Day, but if not we will work on that, but I think it is important to remember that there are women around the world who continue to struggle with abuse, homelessness, and other unimaginable suffering. In the other camp there are women who have achieved great success in economics, politics, social activities, and a host of other areas.

As a women I don't fit into either of these camps, rather in the middle. That makes this day no less important, but reminds me to share my knowledge, skills, abilities and love with someone who may not be as fortunate as me.

So today, March 8th, I celebrate all the women who are out there and make a commitment to be a better role model, mentor, activist, and friend.

Happy IWD!

No comments:

Post a Comment