Wednesday, October 27, 2010

October 27, 2003 - Important Date!

So what happen on October 27, 2003? Well that is the day I started my job with the company I am STILL with today. "Still with" as I have always gotten the 4-5 year itch in jobs. I take a job, work for 4 or 5 years and get bored and move on. This was working for me for about 20 years of my adult working life, in fact it worked really well.

I could go in, make some wonderful improvements as well as make a real impact and as things moved from development to implementation I could leave and feel good that I made a positive impact to the position, company, people, and customers.

The company I currently work for doesn't seem to bore me. Yes, there are days I really don't like going to work, but not because I am bored but rather because I have so much opportunity to do good and impactful work I am not sure where to start.

One thing that keeps me going with this company is to look back at the impact I have made to date. I like to remember when and look at where I have come, where my team has created successes and what impacts have been made, in part to my leadership.

Over the past 7 years I have:
I have had 4 promotions
I have had 6 bosses
I have completed a PhD
I have led small teams and large teams
I have created an open environment of learning and growing
I have helped people understand that failure is an option and should be embraced as a great opportunity to learn
I have helped students succeed in their educational goals
I have made lasting friendships
I have been genuine nearly every day
I have been able to vacation and not worry about work
I have helped others see their leadership potential
I have mentored upcoming all-stars
I have participated in charitable campaigns
I have been recognized with awards
I have presented at national conferences
I have become a better leader and a better person

All that in 7 years! Amazing! I love looking at this list and seeing how I have grown and changed as well as how I have helped others grow and change.

I look forward to the next 7 years. May I stay authentic, focused, active, and a positive person!

No comments:

Post a Comment