Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

As I wait for the little ninja turtles, sleeping beauties, Superman's, and witches arrive I thought I would write a word about Halloween.

Now, I am not a Halloween kind of person. Never have been and probably never will be. I do like seeing all the kids in the neighborhood come out though. It reminds me of when I was growing up. Kids have gotten smart though. I can't remember how many times my brother and I would be crying by the time we got home as it was usually raining or snowing and our little paper bag would no longer carry the candy we collected and all of it would fall through.

We never had those nice plastic pumpkins or fun plastic bags or now the pillow cases. We would try and protect our paper bags and it never failed to break one way or the other. That isn't the reason I don't really care for Halloween though...yes it was devastating at the time, but we always managed to get enough candy somehow.

What I don't like about Halloween is the trick part. Now the tricks have become more than just a prank. I see smashed pumpkins and peoples cars egged or even worse windows busted out. I just don't understand how anyone things this is fun or funny.

Halloween should be a safe time to get dressed up and be a kid again, but when the cats are hiding and the dog is barking and their is egg on the cars and pumpkins smashed, it just isn't that fun.

Now I know many people love this time of year. They love decorating and it is 'their' holiday. I can appreciate that. I just would love that we continue to teach out kids about the fun. That our kids would feel safe again. That we wouldn't have to worry about something happening to our cats or dogs or doors or cars.

So, as you get ready to meet your little monsters at the door, remind them to have fun, be safe, and enjoy the night!

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment