Monday, October 4, 2010

Dual Survival

I have always had a part of me that knows I can survive in nearly any outdoor circumstance that comes along. Stuck in the Boundary Waters, lost in the woods, or on a deserted island I have always thought that I would be able to survive.

I can remember growing up and making fire without matches and learning about compass navigation. I even went so far in college of getting my ears pierced so I could wear hoop earrings. Why? Well, if I was ever stranded I would dream of making a fishing hook from my earrings and thus being able to fish for food.

I remember in college being named the "Person you would want to be stranded with" because I knew how to be creative with what was around and of course I have a striking personality. (smile)

As long as I can remember I have found that I look for survival tools, watch survival shows and learn and read about survival techniques. Now, Lord knows this isn't something I wish to ever happen, but it is nice to know that if I had to I would be a little prepared and not freak out (okay maybe freak out a little).

As I have become older I find that I would hope if this every did happen that I would not be alone. I could do it, but I think I like the idea of dual survival better. Someone to talk too, someone to help build a fire, find food and build the amazing sleeping fort.

Sounds like life, or at least my life. I was surviving by myself and did everything for myself. Now I find it is nicer to be surviving with others. Someone to talk too, someone to stay warm with, someone to call cook with and someone to call home.

Life is about survival but it is also about knowing you are not in it alone. You have partners, spouses, friends, neighbors and family. I hope we all have a dual survival companion in one shape or form. We are out here. When you find yourself on a personal deserted island make your SOS signal so we can find you!

Here's to helping each other survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment