Monday, October 18, 2010

Focus on the here and now!

This weekend, while out and about on the Harley, we hit some back roads with fewer cars and more nature. I am not a speed demon on the bike (nor any other mode of transportation) as I like to focus on the world around me. It is amazing what you can see when you slow down and take it easy.

From a dozen turkeys, to a couple eagles in a tree, or a pheasant flying next to us the world was alive this weekend! You could smell the leaves as they move from full color to rust brown. As we pasted by the lakes, you could feel the crisp air that is only felt around lakes in the fall.

Now I could have day dreamed the whole time and missed it all and at times I found my mind wandering to work topics or things to do, but then something would show itself and it pulled me back into the here and now.

At the stop areas Suzan and I compared notes on what we saw. She is great at saying "thank you" to nature for presenting itself and allowing others to view. Butterflies or eagles all are the same and she gives thanks for their ability to show us the slower side of life.

I am getting better at this, but still get the gentle reminder to focus on the here and now.

This morning on the bus I decided to not think about all the work that was waiting for me and not bring the Blackberry out to check emails before I got to work - I sat quietly next to the window and focused. I focused on the here and now. Focused on the sun rising. Focused on the silhouettes of the trees after losing their leaves. Focused on the crisp air and quiet of downtown as I walked the few blocks from the bus. Focused on the here and now.

To many times we get going so fast that we miss out on everything around us. Not only nature, but life. We worry so much about what we are doing or where we are going or how we are doing it that we forget to enjoy the here and now. We forget to say thank you for arriving today.

As you end your night or begin your day take 10 minutes and just focus! What do you hear, see, smell, and feel? Say thank you for all that comes. Focus on the here and now!

No comments:

Post a Comment