Monday, July 12, 2010

What is the most reported reason to stay at a job?

I was reading an article this morning in a training magazine that listed the top 5 reasons people will stick with a job even if it does not match their purpose statement nor feed their passion. (Yes, people stick around even without these!)

Do you know what the number 1 and number 2 reasons people stay at a job?

The number one reason people stay with a job even if it doesn't match their stated purpose or passion is because they are recognized for the valued work they produce as well as the valued employee they are.

The number two reason was that the tasks they are asked to do challenge different skills, abilities and ways of thinking.

Being recognized and challenged are the top two reasons people will stay at a job. Not money, not status, not power --- recognition and being challenged.

When I think about my life, my career, and the things I do I would agree that these would be my top two reasons as well. I am recognized at work and outside of work for who I am and the person I am..that makes life and work very enjoyable. I definitely am challenged at work and personally. I have found that those challenges have raised me to higher heights in understanding who I am and what I want out of life.

In short recognition and being challenged have actually solidified my purpose and passion statements. Without either of those I probably would have just done something to do it. Now I do it with conviction and excitement.

Recogniztion and being Challenged. Do they resound with you for reasons you do things? Why you work in the career you work? Why you live the life you live?

1 comment:

  1. And here is an interesting article on the top ten reasons people leave a job: http://www.businessknowhow.com/manage/whyquit.htm

    ReplyDelete