Thursday, July 8, 2010

Support comes in many ways!

Today I had the priveledge of delivering new t-shirts to five agencies across Minneapolis and St. Paul. I wasn't planning on doing anything more then dropping them off and leaving, but at each place I was asked if I wanted a tour. I didn't have a lot of time, but I decided I wanted to see what these agencies do every day.

Two of the agencies offer free clothing to people who have lost their homes, jobs, or families. It was sad to see so many people sitting in whatever shade they could find as they waited for food and clothing. These were normal everyday people down on their luck. Most with children in one hand or a cane in the other. As I walked past the area where the clothes were sorted and handed out, I passed a huge room with the title "food shelf". I asked how donations have been and the gentleman that was showing me around said "some days better than others, but we are 1000's of pounds behind". I was guess that only 1/3 of the shelves had any sort of food on them.

Two of the other agencies were women's shelters who were there protected from the violence of their past. One housed around 60 women and children and the other 45 on a daily basis. Amazing operations, amazing people, amazing agencies.

I didn't know what to say when I left as the thanks they gave me was not nearly as thankful as I felt for having them do the job they are doing. They are changing lives, protecting lives, and making a difference.

I was blessed to have been trusted by these agencies to get a tour. Not many even get in the door without a reason, so to go behind the scenes and view 'making a difference' in person was amazing.

It humbles me.

No comments:

Post a Comment