Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Take Time to Celebrate!


I had the opportunity, no privilege, of celebrate two milestones this weekend with my family and relatives. A 50th and 40th Anniversary. Neither couple wanted to have a party of any kind for their own reasons, but like the true party animals my relatives are this was just not right!

It all started a week or so ago when a few of the relatives said "If they don't want to celebrate these events, then we will"! So in surprise fashion everyone was notified to arrive on Saturday at one of the relatives cabins with food in hand and beer in the cooler.

One of my Uncles was driving truck back from Florida and little did he know that the party was partially for him and his wife of 40 years. The only way to get him there was to tell him we were celebrating my other Aunt and Uncles 50th anniversary. The 50th anniversary couple were taken out fishing by another Uncle as a distraction to get the rest of the relatives set in place for the surprise.

Uncles, Aunts, Cousins, and Second Cousins all arrived for the big surprise and as the boat came back and truck pulled in the surprise celebration occurred. It was a success! Success that no one spilled the beans -- my family loves to talk --, and success because we were all gathered in celebration of them and the milestones!

Celebrating is a wonderful thing. I know I always think that I don't want to celebrate my birthday or other big events, but there is something about being around people you love and enjoy that really brings out the best. It says "I care", "I love", "I respect", and "I celebrate you".

This weekend I saw cousins I haven't seen in years and met their kids for the first time. I watched old friends reunite for a common purpose of celebrations. As we all sat on the porch and lawn chairs I was reminded of how easy it would have been to do nothing, but how wonderful it was to do something.



Take time to celebrate. Yourself, your milestones, or someone else. It takes little and means so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment