Saturday, August 21, 2010

Aloha!

No I didn't go to Hawaii and no I am not in Hawaii and yes I wish I was! So why Aloha? Well today makes the day that Hawaii became the 50th State. Something to celebrate and if you have ever been there you know what a wonderful place it is.

So what can we learn about Hawaii that is positive and purposeful?
Well the first things are a few 'did you know' questions.

Did you know that Hawaii officially became the 50th State nearly 18 years after Pearl Harbor attack? Yep, Pearl Harbor was attacked in 1941 and Hawaii became a State in 1959.

Did you know that sugarcane has been imported into the contenential USA since 1876? How in the world did they even know there was a Hawaii out there back then? Think about it. No planes to quickly go and see what is off the coast or a boat that could get you anywhere in less than a month or so. Pretty crazy! Actually the first non native was James Cook who landed there in 1778.

Did you know that there are only three more industrialized islands then Hawaii?

Did you know that the population of Hawaii is less then the population of most midwest State Capitol cities? With a little less than 400,000 people.

Did you know that the Hawaiian alphebet has only 12 letters total? Maybe that explains why Aloha means hello, goodbye, and a number of other greetings.

I guess the point to this post is to remember to learn a little about the world we live in. Today is Hawaii's States day. I hope you have learned something..I know I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment