Thursday, November 4, 2010

Conversations with Mom

Well as I have said earlier, I am heading up to Churchill Manitoba with the folks next week for a 10 day adventure that includes a 2 day train ride up, 4 days of polar bear viewing and town exploring and another 2 day train ride back. It takes me a day to get up there and a day to get back and somehow get to Winnipeg and back.
We have been planning this for 10 months now and the forth person that was to go with was my brother. He is unable to go so it will just be me and my folks. Thanks Steven!

So, as normal with my family, the adventure starts early and will last way past getting back home. This week has been the beginning of the serious talk about what to bring, what to wear, what it will be like and so much more. Now I have never been to Churchill nor have I experienced a 36-48 hour train ride anywhere so I know as much as anyone, but for some reason the folks seem to think I have all the answers to ALL of their questions. What are we going to do, where are we staying, how much does a sandwich cost on the train, what is the temperature like, is there a grocery store there, is there a place we can get a cup of coffee...the list goes on and on.

Yesterday and today have been especially interesting. So I thought I would share my conversations that have happened as set up to the "Great White Bear Adventure". Now, please know I love my folks dearly and I love the fact that they ask the questions and are like kids in a candy store most days. What I write is out of love and total understanding that I am as bad as they are!

Mom is regular text and I am in Italicized:
Mom calls:
What are you doing? Working, what are you doing? Driving but say I was wondering about a few things. Now Janice this may sound strange but I need to know. Okay Mom, what's up? Well I don't know what to bring with and they had cheese and crackers on sale at Olgen's and I wanted to know if you thought it would be okay if we brought that with. Yes, that would be fine in fact it says that you can bring things to eat and drink on the Train. Well it would be nice to know how much it cost as I can't believe we are going to eat three meals a day on the train. No Mom we don't have to, but a sandwich is about $10 and a coke or beer between 4-8 bucks, so we should bring a few things with to munch on.
So how about silverware? Well, will we need silverware or can we get by with finger food like sandwiches and stuff. Well, I was thinking about that but not sure. How about chips? Do you think we should bring a couple bags of chips? Sure that would be fine. Well I was thinking about getting some smaller packs as they come in sacks of 24 now so we could have an assortment. That would work. Well that would be easier so we don't have to bring a clip to close them or eat all of them at once. Yep, sounds good. We may want to take a few apples and such as they may not have a lot of fresh fruit on the train. Well, if we bring a can opener we can bring cans of fruit. Well, that would work but if you are going to do that get the cans that have the pop tops so you don't need a can opener. That's a good idea.
Well I was thinking about bringing my pink bag. It is like the Susan B. Komen ones but it is a VFW one. It has a lot of pockets on it and I am not bringing a purse, but need something for my knitting and books and I can fill it in with other things as well like the chips. Perfect, whatever you want to bring with. Well I have to bring my knitting as I have to have something with to keep my hands busy.
Well I thought we could bring a small cooler and put a few pops and stuff in there to have so I will bring that. Well it that going to be your luggage? No, just my carry on or Dad can have it as I am sure he won't have 2 bags for luggage.
No, he is so worried about getting new t-shirts and socks. So, he wanted me to buy pinochle cards - one red set and one blue set so we can play double deck or single and they are easier to sort. Okay, Mom that sounds fine. What else is happening. Not much, I got my hair cut today and I told them to not cut it so short so will see what it looks like tomorrow after I wash it. I hope it isn't to short. Well you can always wear a hat. Janice, you know how good I look in a hat! Well, remember it is going to be very cold as the high is around 4-8 degrees right now and with the wind it will get...Janice, I don't wear gloves ever so why would I there? Mom, you need to at least bring them with and if you are warm you don't need to wear them but at least you have them. We'll see. Okay, well I don't have much else. Me neither it is just coming so fast and I know it will be over just as fast. Can't wait! Okay, well drive safe and we will talk to you later. Okay, behave. Bye.

I LOVE these conversations as it reminds me of why I am who I am and how much I joy I find in my daily world.

1 comment:

  1. Very fun - just a tip though on the cheese and fruit, as you may want to wait and buy some of that across the border as they may take it from you at the border:) You will all have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete