Monday, February 8, 2010

Watch the words you use!

Do you know that one of the most obvious way to improve your positive attitude and the perceptions of others about you is to watch the words you use? I have been trying to improve the words I chose to describe things, especially things I don’t really care for. I also know that I have tried hard to stop swearing and using words like hate, pissed off, loser, stupid, and a few others. Why? Well, think about it. If I used those words in this blog would they send a sense of compassion, positivity, and self control? Probably not. This is again 365 days of positive and purposeful living blog.

I saw a line of clothing around Christmas time that I decided I would never want to wear. It is the opposite of “Life is Good” and is “Life is Crap”. Now I do believe that the creators were trying to shed some humor on things that sometimes go wrong, but what does it say about you or me if we were to wear it? What does it tell people that may or may not know you?

On the plane ride back from San Diego two women sat in the seats in front and next to us and I really was disappointed in the conversation they were having. Now, perspective here. If you are on a plane where the majority of people are from a certain region or state and you see this from the sea of University of Minnesota clothing products or winter coats on a plan, remember that the words you use are heard by others.

Here is my disappointment story about these two women.

Now if you live here or know anything about where Minnesota is located geographically you know that it is cold in the winter and no big surprise should be that it also snows. Summers are wonderful here with the lakes, trees, clean air, green grass, friendly neighbors, and if you like hot and muggy and don’t mind a few mosquito’s sharing your blood it is a bonus. Spring is great here if you like to watch tulips come up after 5 months of winter, if you like the smell of new tree leaves coming to life and if you don’t mind a little ice and water puddles as you walk in your penny loafers. Fall is amazing here if you like to see every color of the rainbow in the leaves, or if you like to watch the birds migrate south, or if you like the smell of gas being run through snowmobiles and snow blowers for the first time. This is Minnesota! Latitude 45, Longitude 93---welcome.

Okay, so now we all know this right? I have friends who will not visit in the winter as they understand this. Family members who will only visit in the spring or fall after tornado and mosquito season. It is great, they get it.

So, back to the story. The conversation ended in my head ( I turned up the ipod tunes very loud) after I heard the following comments, remember a plane of 180 people all coming home to a state most of us love and two very loud women.

Lady 1: I HATE Minnesota, how can anyone live in this godforsaken area.
Lady 2: I know I can’t believe that people would be STUPID enough to think this was really a place to live.
Lady 1: And it snows every G—D--- time I come here!
Lady 2: Me too…maybe someone is just trying to pi—us off. I am so tired of carrying a coat when I visit.
Lady 1: Thank God Southwest doesn’t charge for bags as I needed a whole new warm wardrobe just to get off the D--- plane!
Lady 2: (Laugh, Laugh)…Not like California, at least WE have some common sense!

At this point I had a decision to make; shut up and put the headsets on or say something.

Of course I can’t shut up so I quietly said “some of us really enjoy our home state” and than I put the headset on and smiled. They didn’t stop, but it got me thinking of how much negativity they were spewing in just a 20 minute conversation and in front of people that actually enjoy everything they were complaining about. I guarantee I would not be friends with such ladies.

So, the point is watch what you say, how you say it, when you say it, and why you say it.
Catch yourself saying words like hate, GD, Pi—off, and others that speak not about your positivity rather your personal fears.

Webster Dictionary:

Hate – Intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear, anger, or a sense of injury.

1 comment: