Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day

I can’t let this day go by without saying something about it so I will find more to say about potholes and highways tomorrow.

Valentine’s Day – ah, do you feel the love today? It is nice to have a day that reminds us to love and be loved.

I remember when I was in elementary school and we would hand out those little Valentine’s Day cards of batman or Barbie or whatever was the popular hero at the time. My folks made us give one to everyone in our class; even if I didn’t really like them. It was painful at times giving one of the precious 36 cards to some of my classmates, but I did. Side note: yes my elementary and graduating high school class was 36 people.

What did I learn from this? Glad you asked. I now know that everyone deserves a Valentine when you are 8 years old. Everyone deserves to be loved and to love at 8, 18, 28, 68 and 108.It doesn’t matter how young or old, you deserve to be loved and to love.

My hope for this day is that you and I both know love and show love more than just on February 14th. Valentine’s Day should be a reminder of love, not the only day for love. Go to your local store this week and pick up a box of super hero cards and in 45 days give them out to your friends, colleague’s, and partner. The cards will be 50% off, but what you will gain is the ability to share your appreciate and love more than just today.

What would you do if you got a Valentine’s Day card in July? May sound silly, but wouldn’t that be kind of fun to be shown love? What if you gave one out? You may get a funny look at first, but wouldn’t it be fun to share the love?

Valentine’s Day is a reminder to cherish and treasure those around you. Don’t let the day go by without saying “I love you”. Carry that forward this year. Find opportunities to say I love you, I thank you, I appreciate you, I see you, I care for you. Maybe, just maybe it will be the most meaningful phrase the recipient will hear that day and you will make a difference.

Live with purpose people. Be open to love and share your love.

No comments:

Post a Comment