Friday, February 5, 2010

Be Childlike and live with anticipation of excitement!

Have you ever had a day that feels like Christmas when you were growing up? You know that feeling where you can't hardly sleep the night before because you know the next day is going to be really special? Today was that really special day. I was living with the anticipation of excitement.

One of the qualities I really enjoy about myself is the ability to be childlike. NOT childish or a child, but childlike. It's that feeling you get when you are excited about an old memory or a new adventure. I have it a lot, some may say too much, but I don't think so. I don't think you can ever be 'to much' childlike. If you lose this, or have forgotten that it is in you, you become old. Old without the ability to smile or relax or anticipate excitement.

Today, I was childlike.

I received a metal detector for Christmas. Yep, a metal detector. I love to explore, I love finding treasures, I love the anticipation of excitement. It is like the feeling that I still get at Christmas when I see a present under the tree for me, or when my birthday comes around, or opening fishing day, or a time when I just let my guard down and be. It isn't the present, it's the anticipation of the excitement.

The hotel we are in is next to Mission Bay so lots of sand and true to my heart I had to try the metal detector on the beach. Of course I first tried it outside the patio here as my brother had tossed a few pennies for me to find in the grass. I found all three and off we went to the beach to try it out.

Beep, beep, beep...what is it..I dig, beeps again, I dig down a bit deeper and there it is my first treasure...a rusty old nail! Four more times I do the same thing and find more nails...so I was the beach safety monitor and found the nails that could have hurt someone. Okay, not a big treasure, but I was living with anticipation of the excitement.

I adjust the setting on the detector and walk a bit farther, nothing, no beeps. All of a sudden we go over an area closer to the water and beep, beep, beep. Oh my gosh, it can't be a nail as the pitch was higher. What could it be, a quarter, lost pirate treasure (yes my imagination is wild), a five pound bar of gold? I sift through the sand and still it beeps. I dig deeper and no more beep. I have it, but now where? There is a pile of sand next to me so I start sifting through the pile, Beep, beep...I am getting close!

One or two more beeps and bang, my first bounty! I wasn't sure what it was as it was covered with dirt and rust. I have to figure out what it is? I get back to the room and show everyone my bounty. Oh the excitement, oh the funny looks I get, but I am determined. What can it be? I find a glass and pour some diet coke over the treasure. I scrub it and scrap it and at last, I see what it is ---a dime--! Wahoo...my first nugget of treasure! The anticipation of excitement!

Be childlike, as for the brief moment you let yourself go your heart soars. Your thoughts are free and you feel completely alive. Anticipate the excitement!

No comments:

Post a Comment