Wednesday, January 6, 2010

When life throws you lemons....

I wasn’t sure what I was going to write about today as work has been crazy and with the workouts at the gym, time becomes short some nights. I was tempted to just put in the header “Not tonight, I have a headache”. It wasn’t until the bus ride home that I knew I had something to say.

For those of you outside of Minneapolis the weather forecast for tonight is snow; 1 to 2 inches of light fluffy snow. South of here maybe 4-6 inches with a few advisories out. I wasn’t really happy about snow because that usually means more cold weather and a little work on shoveling. It wasn’t until the bus ride home that I realized that I was wasting my thoughts about tonight and tomorrow. It wasn’t until I heard others sarcastically complain about the snow that I sat up and stated in my head “whoa, is there nothing positive about 1-2 inches of snow?”

The comments on the bus were;

1. I suppose the plows won’t even worry about this amount so the road will be crappy tomorrow
2. Great, 2 inches of snow on top the ice already
3. Haven’t we had enough snow already!
4. I swear if school is cancelled and the kids have to stay home again I am going to be calling someone.

These are true statements! Within a 20 minute ride four ladies sitting in front of me complained that maybe their kids would be home and safe with them or spend time with their kids, and maybe the earth would gain a quarter inch of water from the snow fall, and maybe the new snow fall would cover up all the grey/black snow banks that we have around here from the last storm. Just maybe there is good in this!

I quickly caught myself thinking that I was as guilty today of making negative statements about something so positive. Yes, it will be a small hassle, yes people need to be careful, yes kids may stay home, but have we become so blind to the good that comes with a weather event that we totally lose sight of positive living?

May each of us find a way to make positive statements about something today! Remember when life throws you lemons, make lemonade.

1 comment: