Saturday, January 9, 2010

Hooters in my Backyard!

No, not ‘that’ kind of hooters, real ones! I let the dog out last night and as I stepped outside to see how the temperature of -14 felt the first thing I notices is how quiet -14 degrees is! No one on the road at 10:30 at night when it is this cold, no kids playing basketball in the street or riding bikes across lawns screaming, no dogs outside just barking, nothing but quiet. In the quiet of -14 all I heard was “whoo whoo who whoooooo”. I wasn’t sure I heard it as I have never heard an owl in the neighborhood, but as I stayed still there it was again, “whoo, whoo who whoooo”.

I did my best owl imitation and did “whoo, whoo, who whooo” back and waited. Yes, I do owl calls as well as a darn good moose call as well (you can ask my brother). Again I heard the big bird sing. Whoa. 10:30 at night, -14 degrees, clear skies, stars shining bright, moon at half crescent and hooters.

It reminds me of something I am trying to do more of and that is listen, well more like shut up so I can hear others, but I like the positive way of saying it. Yes I am trying to “listen” more and talk less. Not even just talk, but be quiet, be still in body mind and voice. My head goes a million miles an hour and sometimes my body does the same, and I know I am never short on words.

This new habit is completely outside of my comfort zone. I love to talk, I love to think, I love to challenge, I don’t really enjoy quiet –it bores me. So that is one of my purposeful living adventures this year is to find enjoyment in quiet. Last night I was shown the value of quiet. I was shown that in the busiest of lives a moment of silence can create a memory. I have hooters in the backyard!

What memories does your silence bring?

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of being up north in Grand Rapids, MN. Amongst the silence of people, the world still has a lot to say and tell us. Nice comment Janice. Be still in body and mind. You may just hear more than you think in silence.

    ReplyDelete