Monday, January 4, 2010

Purposeful Living

As part of this blog I will make an attempt to provide examples during one week each month of ways people live with purpose. All will be real examples, as I see so many people purposefully living. You will too if you take the time to see, listen, and be silent.

To begin I need to describe what I mean by purposeful living. Maybe the best way to describe what I mean by purposeful living is by saying what it is not. It is not about finding the one thing you do well and that is all you will ever do, it is not about being born to do just one thing – very few have this option and most are religious figures, it is not about being stuck or just dealing with life as that is all you can see. No, purposeful living means that everything you do and everything you are has come from a decision you have personally made that matches to your core values – remember them from a few days ago? A choice, an action, a feeling, an emotion, a word, a job, the list goes on and on. Making each of these decisions fills a purpose and if those decisions are aligned with your values, you are purposeful living.

Have you ever thought to yourself “what am I doing in this job” or “why did I spend money on this” or “what can I do to feel better”? If you have, then you are on your way to understanding not only your values, but how these statements can lead you to a higher level of purposefully living.

I want to share an example that I received from a past collogue of mine that shows how planning, decisions, and action have led to a high level of purposeful living in this person. Here is the email I received on Saturday. Look for how this person is purposefully living by making her life match her values.

Great blog, Janice! I will have to get in there and become a "follower" and sign up, etc.! It is amazing when you stop to think about what you want in life and when things finally fall into place for those things to happen - it gives definition to "meant to be".

1 1/2 years ago, I decided I should look further at what I wanted to do when I "grow up". I spoke with an advisor at a college and realized I could do whatever I wanted to do and that a ton of things sounded interesting to me! A week later, I attended a nursing information session and signed up for 3 classes that I needed to retake since mine were outdated by 1 year. I also knew instinctively that I wanted to work with women in the OB unit for labor & delivery/postpartum care - even though I didn't know entirely what that would entail AND that I wanted to work at North Memorial Hospital.

At the end of that semester, I found out I was pregnant. I quickly made a mental schedule of events that needed to take place for me to keep moving on the RN track. I took Anatomy & Physiology 1 last Jan-May, became certified as a nursing assistant and applied to the RN program in June, took A&P II in July, and finished with 2 weeks to spare before Tyler was born. Since Tyler's lungs weren't quite ready, he spent a week in the NICU. As I was in the hospital with him, I took the opportunity to "interview" every nurse that I came in contact with.

In September, I found out I was accepted for the January start of the RN program at Anoka Ramsey CC. Mid-October, I attended an information session at the Maple Grove (North Memorial) Hospital and made application at the end of October for several CNA positions. Through a series of coincidental events, I established that my cousin's aunt worked at the hospital. In November, it was through her that I found out that there were 8,000 applicants for 175 positions at the new hospital, which opened December 30th, '09. Despite the odds, on Tuesday, December 14th, I had a phone screening with an HR rep at the hospital.

Last Thursday, at 11:00 am, I had an in-person interview with the Nursing Manager for the Women's & Children's Services (Birthing Center) department. I couldn't get a feel for the interview one way or another because the manager sort of indicated that she hadn't hired very many (if any) people without CNA experience and I knew it might be challenging to work with my school schedule. But, at 5:15pm, I received a phone call, and became the newest member of the Maple Grove Hospital team!!

I cannot believe that a vision I put in place a year and a half ago is actually happening!!! I know I did all of the logistical things I needed to do, but I'm still in somewhat disbelief at the opportunities I have been presented with (even with their challenges) and that I am officially starting my healthcare career!!

You have been an excellent mentor for me since you joined Capella back in the day, and your passion for people and life has always been a huge part of that. So, when I do finally get signed up and logged in to blog spot, I will check, "yes, it has inspired me to be more!"


How are you purposefully living? Share your stories and be part of the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment