Monday, June 6, 2011

Weed be gone?

For those of you who have been reading my blog throughout the past year, you probably noticed the ads that are placed at the bottom of the posts. They are ads from companies and businesses trying to match what I am writing about with their product.

June 1st my post was about weeds and flowers and if any of you noticed the ad was from weed control system. It made me giggle as my post was not about literal weeds but those things that grow in our personal garden that take over our lives!

I have seen a number of 'guessing ads' as I have written. I write about potholes and they give us ads on tire rotation or I talk about lessons I learned from my dog and they gave flea and tick control. Some computer in the background is looking for words in my posts and trying to match them with a product.

It got me thinking today that maybe we all do a little to much guessing about what we really are talking about or listening to. When I talk about positive living and removing barriers what do you see in your mind picture? Do you see a crane loading up a concrete barrier or do you see yourself cleaning off a desk that is so full of papers you feel disorganized? When I talk about creating the life you want do you see others taking care of it as if they were the contractors and your life depends upon them? Or do you see yourself building a personal bird house - side by side, top, how you will hang it, the size of the hole to get through, and the type of nails to use?

To many times we guess at what we mean personally. We may speak in non-concrete or abstract language about what we want and how we are going to get there. Do you catch yourself saying "when I retire I want to be happy" or "I want enough money to live on so I can quit my job". That is abstract talk and not at all concrete in nature...in short it will NOT get you to your goal.

When I say "by the time I am 55 years old I will own lake front property in the Brainerd Lakes area and work part time writing and speaking about positive and purposeful living" you know exactly what I am going to do. No guessing, nothing abstract and very concrete.

If you want your weeds to be gone you need to put down the barriers of non-concrete and abstract language. You need to be crystal clear as to what, when, and why you are doing things. It isn't easy, but to live positive and with purpose you much understand what your needs are in great detail.

So, complete this line: By the time I am _____I will_________________________and do ______________! Have fun and let's see what type of ad the computer comes up with for this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment